Saturday, October 3, 2009

October 4 - Sunday

Everyday at 5:00pm Mr. Joe and I leave school to pick up his two children from daycare. On the back roads are crater size potholes that the little red car attempts to avoid but more often than not we bounce and jostle around while Mr. Joe and I debrief our day of teaching. We are surrounded by fields of red chili peppers that dot the foreground of golden hue rice crops. Mr. Joe's 4 year old son is learning how to say good bye while bowing and it's so cute because his backpack is so big on him that when he bows his backpack falls forward and Mr. Joe has to grab him in order to keep him for falling over. On our way back on the same road with the sing song of small voices from the back seat, our bouncing car, I peer to the right and gaze out across the rice fields as the sun is descending and feel such a deep sense of gratitude and wonder.

Summer was extremely busy filled with 3 weeks of Summer English Camp, one week of English Village and prepping for 2nd semester. In between were day trips to Seoul, table tennis with Jackson and dinners with the Kim family. The summer weather was especially taxing since I didn't figure out how to use my air conditioning until the last week of summer; that explains the remote control next to the microwave.

Now, it's the advent of fall and Korea just celebrated it's version of Thanksgiving; Chuseok. It's a time for people to gather with friends and family, give thanks through gift giving and traditional foods; songpyeon (filled rice cakes), japchae (noodles), bulgogi (beef) and fruit. The expressways are congested for 5 days of anxious travelers because it's one of the most important holidays of the year. Rice fields will soon be harvested and kimchi will be prepared in mass quantities for the cold months ahead. Fall in Korea is gorgeous! Cool morning, bright and breezy afternoon and chilly cloudless evenings.

I've been in Korea for almost 6 mos. and I'm still pinching myself of disbelief. I have created a second home here and befriending the Kim family, it certainly has enriched my Korea experience. They have graciously taken me into their home and we consider ourselves family. So, even if I don't find my birth roots I have been given a gift of life long friendship with the Kim's. How did I get so lucky?!

Teaching has been amazing! I have found a groove in my teaching style but continue to learn, evolve and grow from daily experiences. The students and I are feeling comfortable with each other and I enjoy making them laugh and hopefully create an environment of learning English fun! Students are very hard working and diligent with their studies. Most students attend academy after school; music, English, tae-kwon-do, Math, etc.

Here are a few more things I have learned about Korean culture and observations:

-Women do not smoke in public. It's considered bad form, especially in front of an elder

-I learned from Mr. Joe that friends are of close age. Since Korea is a culture of hierarchy, one wouldnt be friends with someone older or younger than a few years apart. I told Mr. Joe that it's very common for me (and people in the States) to have friends who are 10+ years older than me and he was very surprised. Never in Korea. Elders do not consider younger people to have much "value" due to lack of life experiences and younger people revere and respect elders.

-When toasting a drink, the elder's glass is higher than the other glasses

-When toasting an elder the younger person looks away and drinks their shot of Soju

-Drinks are to be poured and received with two hands, especially with an elder

-When handing an item (papers, money, etc.) always use two hands, especially with an elder

And so much more to learn!!

"I am still learning"--Michelangelo

No comments: